Are you? Are you aware of how often you give away your very own power? Are you aware that your power is limitless and no matter how empty you feel, you can feel on top of the world in an instant?
When we aren’t conscious about it, we give away our power in so. many. ways.
Case in point:
- Someone is rude to you and you feel offended. I mean, how could they?!
- You’re trying to make a coffee order and the server treats you halfheartedly while smiling enthusiastically at someone else. Really?
- The customer service rep doesn’t seem to respect your situation. I can’t even…
- Your boss/client says something in passing and you can’t seem to stop thinking about what they said. What’s wrong with me? Am I a failure?
- It’s a month into your new diet and the scale doesn’t seem to agree. Why do I feel like a loser?
- A beautiful, young woman seems to have everything going for her while you happen to be in your rumpy old work out clothes. Don’t go there, don’t go there…
While these may not all apply to you, the point of the examples above was to reflect the ways in which we give away our power so easily. To others, to objects, and yes, even that small anxious voice in our very own heads.
The first step in harnessing our own power is simple yet requires training and discipline.
It’s self realization.
Have you actually tried to count the ways you give away your power in a single day. I bet you’d be surprised at what comes up 😉
Try it! Set an alarm each hour and track the moments of the past 60 minutes in which you felt annoyed, depressed, stressed, or worried. At the end of the day, you may notice an overarching theme or two… or three.
You see, most of the “why’s” in which we give away our power stems from old beliefs or anchored fears. What do I mean by that? Here are a few examples:
- I’m never good enough
- People don’t respect me
- What if I don’t make it?
- I’m not loveable
- I’m emotionally weak
- I appear to be too powerful
- People don’t listen to me
- I get sick too easily
- People always seem to leave me
- I’m “fat” or I’m “too skinny”
This list can go on forever… that’s how smart and powerful our minds are. If we aren’t careful we can be chasing this wild rabbit for YEARS.
I can’t tell you enough how many people begin to expand their own awareness once they realize what their overarching themes are.
Once you realize what old beliefs and anchored fears are holding you back you begin to step OUT of the story and IN to your own power.
For the most deeply rooted fears and limiting beliefs there are several techniques that can be used to help offset the years of patterned behavior which I hope to write about soon. But for now, try the 24 hour journal. Get to know your self in a way that will change your life forever.