In an earlier post I wrote about personal power and how easy it is to give it away to other people, objects, or simply daily events that happen in our lives.
Today, I wanted to focus specifically on one major way we give away our power so easily, and that is: caring about what other people think.
If you’ve done the 24 hour self realization test you may have noticed this particular theme come up over and over again. Why is it that we care so damn much about what others think? To the point that it actually changes our very own behavior and possibly the trajectory of our path?
Let’s be honest, we’ve all done this at one point or another in the past. Heck, maybe even within the last day!
- Your baby is uncomfortable and crying on his/her first flight and you’re flushed and embarrassed at the thought of other people being annoyed at you and your baby.
- You wear something amazing to school or work only to notice someone else is getting much more attention. You decide to keep your jacket on and wear your outfit on another day.
- You pack your lunch because there’s an important lunch meeting and you notice no one else is eating. You decide to eat later and hope to God your stomach doesn’t growl during the hour.
- You have an accent and you’re afraid other’s might think less of you so you avoid any job that requires speaking over the phone or public speaking.
The list can go on…
What I’ve noticed a million times over is that people who have this tendency are doing one thing 90% of the time – they aren’t caring enough about themselves.
What’s happening in our brains is that we are already looking outward and caught up in a fear based state of other people’s projection. Now, remember what I’ve said over and over again – with every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. This is power.
If you have a tendency to immediately jump to what other people think, you also have an equal tendency (or the opportunity) to immediately jump to what YOU care about in yourself.
Instead of caring about what other people think about you, why not care about what you want to do?
- Why not care about your world for once?
- Why not care about your voice?
- Why not care about how your potential failure can lead to future success?
- Why not care about yourself?
You may begin to feel something shift within you. You may begin to imagine all the times that if you shifted your mindset to caring about yourself first, how empowering this actually feels.
Remember, no one is actually thinking about you as much as they are thinking about themselves.
Take baby steps to build your personal power. Use the right tools whether they be books, meditation, a spiritual practice, or a coach/therapist to get you along the right path.
Owning your personal power is a birth right and we need as many people (with the truest of intentions) to step into their God given power – your true Light!