I remember a time, after I first saw the cortisol test results, of scouring the internets in search of some testimony to how someone out there cured their adrenal fatigue. Anything. A book, a pill, a guru, yes… I was desperate.
I wrote about how I felt despair and a whole host of other emotions in previous posts and how at the end of the day, it was the core beliefs and emotions that I needed to switch up in order to truly make recovery in leaps and bounds.
While I don’t discount the professionals I consulted and the plans I was on to help heal the adrenals, it all couldn’t have been possible without being at peace first.
All that said, I do remember how I felt hoping I could find some source of information that could accelerate my path to recovery, and thought I should share a bit more on the supplements side of things.
Please note this was a highly individualized protocol (and a ridiculously long one at that!) and I am in no way a medical professional. I am purely sharing what worked for me at certain times during the recovery process.
First thing first, please read Pt 2 for the full list of practitioners I saw throughout various stages of recovery as one should always follow the guidance of a medical professional.
Once I had a base level of testing done and I felt that my stress was being managed I saw a very specific practitioner, Gail Clayton, in order to read my NutrEval and genetic testing results. I was shocked to find that despite taking a very good brand(s) of multi-vitamins my body was still in need of more, especially iron and b-vitamins. Once I introduced an extra dose of b-vitamins my energy went through the roof! I felt like my old self again… and it was great. Introducing glycine in the evenings also helped me to stay asleep as well. I felt I had discovered something big…
Important thing to note before listing my supplements regimen below is 1) I did discover shortly after that a stool test showed there was a parasite in my gut which may have been a reason why vitamin levels were showing low 2) I am no longer on this regimen and feel it is important to continue to work with a professional in order to keep up with how your body is changing, recovering, and adapting to present day life.
Vitamins split into two doses, taken with breakfast and lunch:
– Thorne Research – Vitamin D-5000 – Vitamin D3 Supplement – 60 Capsules
– Bone Nutrients | Best Bone Support Supplement | Calcium, Vitamin D and Other Nutrients Provided Per Dose | 120 Easy-To-Swallow Vegetarian Capsules | Free Of Common Allergens
– Thorne Research – Iron Bisglycinate – 25 mg Supplement for Enhanced Iron Absorption – 60 Capsules
– Optimal Start | A Unique Multivitamin Free of Copper, Iron, Calcium, B12 and Folate with Supportive Adaptogenic Herbs | Non-GMO | Free of Magnesium Stearate | Physician Formulated | Seeking Health
– Thorne Research – Vitamin C with Flavonoids – Pure Ascorbic Acid Supplement with Citrus Bioflavonoids (Rutin, Hesperidin, and Quercetin) – 180 Capsules
– Thorne Research – Zinc Picolinate – Highly Absorbable Zinc Supplement – 60 Capsules
– Douglas Laboratories® – Pantothenic Acid (500 mg.) – Vitamin B-5 to support Energy Production and Nervous System* – 100 Capsules
– Douglas Laboratories® – 5-HTP Plus Formula – Brain Serotonin Precursor with P5P, L– Tyrosine, and L-Glutamine – 60 Capsules
– Pure Encapsulations – BenfoMax – Hypoallergenic, Fat-Soluble Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) Supplement – 90 Capsules
– Pure Encapsulations – Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg – Hypoallergenic Water- and Lipid-Soluble Antioxidant Supplement – 120 Capsules
– Niacin | Provides 50 mg of Niacin in an easy-to-swallow vegetarian capsule | Vitamin B3 | Free of Magnesium Stearate | 100 Vegetarian Capsules | Non-GMO | Physician Formulated | Seeking Health
During my workouts:
– Thorne Research – Amino Complex – Amino Acid Dietary Supplement Powder for Sports and Fitness Performance – Berry Flavor – 8.1 oz
– Optimal Electrolyte | Berry Flavor | 30 Single-Serving Packets | Provides Key Nutrients In An Easy-To-Use Powder Form To Support Peak Physical Performance | Physician Formulated | Seeking Health
– Douglas Laboratories® – Glycine – Amino Acid Support of Neurological, Gastrointestinal and Connective Tissue Health* – 60 Capsules
– ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi – Holy Basil Supplement – Made with Certified Organic Herbs (Vegetarian Capsules, 90 Count)
– Vitanica Adrenal Assist Capsules, 90-Count
Jarrow Formulas Ps-100, Brain and Memory Support, 100 mg, 60 Softgels
Looking back, while the supplements did help in my recovery I do think it can be another dangerous road to take without proper care from professionals and a healthy mindset. Why? Because it’s incredibly easy to hold these supplements so close to your heart you almost feel your life depends on it, and that isn’t healthy.
I don’t say the above lightly as this can easily be another form of holding you prisoner and the only way to be free is to be completely unattached to the outcome…
Just know that this too shall pass. Truly trust that you are being held by something so much greater than what YOU or ANYONE else could possibly do or be to be your only hope.
If you happen to stumble upon this because you have gone through adrenal fatigue or are going through it currently, you are in for the most enriching, enlightening journey yet.
And in full disclosure the links below do go to Amazon to help support the cost of the blog.